From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roger and Allison Kulp
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:53 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Suggestions for small and tough and hopefully not
too costly DV camera

$800 is more than I can afford right now.

                                            Roger

Miriam Meislik <miriam+@xxxxxxxx> wrote: Well, we finally dove in and bought
a Panasonic SDR H200.  So far we are
more than pleased with it.  It is unbelievably light.  It also truly
fits in the palm of your hand.  I am a very small person and I find it
comfortable to hold.  My husband who is definitely larger, also finds it
very comfortable.  The screen has a nice resolution and the control are
all logically placed.  I can stop, pause, play, and pretty much control
the camera with my thumb without disturbing the camera.  It takes
reasonable stills.  I think the audio is fine.  I haven't really had the
chance to push this camera's limits yet, but I hope to do that really soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SDR-H200-3-1MP-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000M4K
JV4

This site is the only one I have found to show the rear of the camera

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/498058675

Miriam

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:

> I would be interested in this,too.I would eventually be interested in
doing DIY news,and political activism shorts,and uploading them to
YouTube,LiveLeak,etc.  .

>                                    Roger
>
> Tom Fine  wrote: Hi All:
>
> Sorry for the cross-posts here.
>
> I am looking to buy a DV camera to take hiking and other travels.
>
> The requirements are:
>
> 1. small and light, hopefully smaller and lighter than a digital SLR
camera.
> 2. rugged and needs to have reliablly long battery life.
> 3. simple to use. I am no advanced videographer here. I just need
something to take good video and
> not be hassle to use. As close to the equiv. of a point and shoot camera
or fully-auto SLR camera
> would be great.
> 4. cost is a factor. I do not need the latest greatest HD camera. Good,
crisp NTSC is just fine
> unless HD stuff is cost-effective and as small and easy to use.
> 5. either decent built-in sound quality or a jack for an external mic.
> 6. digital output so I can load the video onto my hard drive and burn
DVD's. Firewire and/or USB is
> fine.
> 7. I'm assuming anything I'd want uses tape. The format would best be
cheap and readily available.

> In my experience, I tend to have a bias against Sony products, but I'd
consider one if it were head
> shoulders better for the same cost. The problems I've had with Sony have
always revolved around
> stupid design or, more often, crappy build quality and zero customer
support. I very much like our
> little Canon point and shoot -- in fact it's what's gotten me keen on
video. I love my Nikon D70 SLR
> but it is big and heavy and there are some situations where I'd rather
shoot video to tell the whole
> story.
>
> I don't see me making long "creative" "movies," more like short hits that
are more about "this is
> what I see right now" visuals where the scenery is too big and too
spectacular for my photographic
> skills to tell the story in a still image.
>
> Hopefully, I'm describing what I need correctly. I don't know enough about
digital video to say "I
> need these specific specs." That's what I'm hoping to gleen from your wise
advice.

> Thanks in advance for all help/suggestions.
>
> -- Tom Fine
>

> ---------------------------------

Miriam Meislik
Media Curator
Archives of Industrial Society
University of Pittsburgh
7500 Thomas Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
(412)244-7075 voice
(412)244-7077 fax
miriam@xxxxxxxx

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter.
--Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001