From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 2:02 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] On the beaten 8-track...

There were definitely standalone 8-track recorders and blanks available for
them, and didn't those turntable-AM/FM-8 track combo units (Candle etc) have
recording capability? As recently as the late 80s, someone needed to have a
commentary he was doing for an exhibit at the Canadian National Exhibition
recorded on 8-track so it would play continuously, and a collector friend
was able to oblige. A listener once sent me an 8-track of old recordings
he'd taken off the air (I don't think I ever did find a machine to play it
on).

dl