Re: [ARSCLIST] Metal Parts cleaning

Kurt Nauck wrote:

> What is the preferred method of cleaning and storing metal parts?

Depends very much on what needs to be removed from it, and on the type of
metal and surface finish that shouldn't be affected.

On naked metal (iron, brass, aluminium), I prefer a slightly greasy solvent,
such as white spirit (or kerosene).
A slightly oily layer will protect from corrosion and finger prints, and can
be wiped off before usage.
To remove grease, oil or glue, I use carbon tetrachloride or freon.

Jos Van Dyck
NGM Archiving Solutions